our most commonly asked questions

When should I book my accommodation?

Most students start looking for accommodation mid October for the following September. Booking early can means you are more likely to get the house you want. Please Contact us early in Oct if your group are interested in booking with us we will be glad to help you.

What house sizes are available?

We currently have properties ranging from 2 bedroom houses to 7 bedroom houses available but are always taking on more properties.

How do I book a house?

Please message us to book a viewing with your group. Its best to view with your whole group where possible so everyone can pick their room fairly. Get in touch to let us know what size house your group are looking for.
We will bring tenancy agreements to each viewing for your group to read so you can ask as many questions as you need.

Do I need to book with a full group?

We usually take bookings from full groups and would advise you to ask around your University friends and course mates to find additional group members. However we will assist you in finding additional house mates if your group is one person short. We also have rooms which become available for individual students looking so we would encourage you to get in touch so we can try and help you find the perfect group.
All our bedrooms are doubles.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Deposits are taken from all tenants at the start of tenancy. Deposits are used to cover any damage that might be caused by a tenant. For students we keep our deposits very low at only £100 and all deposits are placed in a national deposits scheme. Guarantors are also used to help you secure your tenancy. Deposits vary slightly for international students and professional residential tenants. Please get in touch for further details.

Is there parking available?

Parking is available at all student properties. Some student properties have off street parking or garage facilities. Off street parking spaces can be booked on a first come basis for each house. There will be a small charge of £30 for an off street parking space for the academic year. On street permit parking is also available at all houses located in the city centre near the University.

What internet is included and will it cover my bedroom?

All our proprieties have high speed broadband which is included in the monthly rent. There is no extra cost. This broadband covers all rooms in each house. Wifi routers are all located in a communal area so the whole house has access to the router at all times and there is no waiting around for housemates to come home if it is connected in a bedroom.

How do I get a parking permit?

Parking permits are available from Plymouth City Council. When you have booked one of our houses you are able to purchase these by calling Plymouth City Council on 01752668000. You will need to provide your full house address and postcode. This information if located on your tenancy agreement.

What is provided in the Kitchen?

Each kitchen has a washing machine, separate tumble dryer, cooker, hob, fridge freezers and lots of cupboard storage. There is also a kettle, microwave and toaster. Everything is free to use. Each house has the correct proportion of cookers and fridges to the number of people living in the house.

What do I need to bring with me when I move in?

For your bedroom you will need to bring a duvet and pillow, a fitted flat sheet to go over your matttess protector and a duvet set. You will also need to bring towels.
For the kitchen you will need to bring a set of plates, cups and bowls, cooking utensils and pans you will require. We would advise having a chat with your group to make sure you don’t end up with 7 frying pans and sets of bowls!!

What is in my bedroom?

Each bedroom will have a double bed with headboard. These range between small and large doubles depending on the room layout. Each room has a chest of drawers, wardrobe, bedside table, desk, office chair and pin board. All curtains are thermally lined and are black out.
All beds will have a brand new mattress protector on the mattress which we ask that you leave on for the duration of your tenancy. A one-time fee of £20 will be added to the first rent installment for the academic year.

Do I have to pay council tax?

If you are a student in full time education you will not have to pay council tax and a student exemption will be placed on the property. For graduate and professional houses council tax is liable.

Where can I find out my full house address and postcode?

All tenants will be supplied with a paper copy of their tenancy agreement. The full house address and postcode of your student house is located on the front page of the agreement.

Can I move out of my house early if my course finishes earlier?

Yes you are able to move out early but you will still be required to continue to pay the full and remaining rent for your tenancy agreement. We ask that you inform us that you have moved out so we can collect your keys and complete a final room inspection. All tenants must return their room in a clean and undamaged manor. This incudes taking your belongings, putting rubbish in the wheelie bins, hovering and dusting your room.

How do I report a maintenance issue or repair?

Each house has a private group chat with us your landlords. This works really well as everyone in the house can see when a fault has been reported and saves duplicate reports being made. The group chat will also be used to update the house on any useful information or maintenance teams visiting for required works.

How long is my contract?

All our student tenancies are for the standard 48 weeks. These start on 1st Sep and end on 31st July. If you are staying for a second year in your house there may be the option to live in the house during the Aug period. Terms and Conditions apply.
On the rare occasion we do have new rooms available during the academic year these rooms may be offered for a shorter duration until 31st July.

When and how do I pay my rent?

Rent payments are due termly in Sep, Jan and April. These payments fall in line with student loan dates. Payments can be made via bank transfer to our account. Bank details are located in your tenancy agreement.

If you have any questions not covered by our FAQ please don’t hesitate to get in touch

House was redecorated very tastefully before we moved in, really loved my room and the living room especially. Super kind landlords, even used their van to help move all my stuff in from my previous address. Very competitive rent rates, highly recommended

D McDonald

Don’t miss out!

We are very popular so get in touch and say hello to register your interest in our amazing houses

Got Questions?

We get asked a lot of questions about our properties so we've compiled a list of the most common queries on our FAQ page...

Alternatively you can use our handy contact form for any specific questions not covered by our FAQs

A fantastic house, friendly and accessible landlords overall the best student housing company in Plymouth, you don’t need to look anywhere else!

T Chalcraft

A very warming and welcoming company with absolutely lovely landlords. Any problems are quick to fix and both Victoria and Adrian are 1-on-1 with the house.

G Navin

check out our 5 star reviews on our testimonials page and also on our Cactus Lets Facebook page.

hmo registered licensed approved landlords

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This